Sunday, March 7, 2010

Fantasy 101: If I were the teacher...

Inspired by this, here is what I would include if I were teaching a class on Fantasy Lit 101 in addition to what the author suggests:

--The Dragonriders of Pern
--The Song of the Lioness quartet
--If we wanted to focus on the fantastic side of sci-fi, we would discuss the original Star Wars trilogy in terms of the epic quest.
--Comparing Twilight to a better done urban fantasy featuring vampires as a sort of "what not to do"

The possibilities are endless here...

3 comments:

  1. Good suggestions, I'll take it on board next time I'm teaching fantasy - although I'd be nervous to knock Twilight to those teen girls, some of them can be very passionate and defensive about that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of cours, if I were the teacher, I would explain that while I do not deny that Twilight is a best-seller, its story has been done before, and better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I'd totally have taken a fantasy lit course in college. I still remember this one course I wanted to take that had something to do with comparing fantasy and religion (like fantasy taking the place that myths once served or something, I don't remember) that had Lord of the Rings and other fantasy books on its reading list... But I couldn't take it because I had a required class at the same time! Darn engineering major! I shouldn't complain too much, though, since I did take a seminar called "Merlin and Magic". Not bad.

    ReplyDelete

Adventurers