Saturday, May 15, 2010

What I don't like in a story

Now for the flip side of Wednesday's post--what I don't like in a story:

--Purple prose (I don't need 50 pages just to describe a piece of grass)

--Wasted potential

--Characters that are unlikeable

--Mary Sues/Gary Stus (unless the author really knows what s/he is doing)

--Plots that are too preachy (I don't mind a moral, but I don't want said moral shoved down my throat)

--Drama for the sake of drama

--Angst over the stupidest things

--Gore/sex for the sake of sheer shock value (if handled tastefully, done well, and crucial to the plot, I will tolerate it)

--Plot holes

--Books that take forever just to get started

--Infodumps (now, if you spread them out, I'm okay, but if you leave me before a wall of text, I'm gone)

--Unbelieveable plots (unless it's a parody and meant to be over the top)

--Flat and cliched characters (unless it is a parody or you know what you're doing)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adventurers