Sunday, June 13, 2010

Adventures in Gaming: Luck of the Pokemon

Inspired by this: Cute Story

Besides writing fantasy, one of my other passions is video games. I will bore you for hours with my adventures with Mario, Link, et al. if you let me.

So beginning this week, I'll share with you one of my tales from my rambles across the gaming world.

One of my most memorable boss fights was finally defeating Liza and Tate on Pokemon Emerald.

For the uninitiated, Liza and Tate add a Xatu and a Clayol to their Lunatone and Solrock for Emerald, and said Claydol’s attacks can really hurt your Pokemon. For a long time, I struggled against them, even going so far as to walk away from the game for a while.

Then, looking at the type chart a few weeks later gave me an idea: What if I went at them with two Pokemon that were part Flying, which would essentially nullify their Ground moves?

So I started a fresh file and made my way through the game until I arrived in Mossdeep City with a lv. 40ish team. My plan was to use a Beautifly (named Rainbow) and a Gyarados (named Umi), with my Gardevoir (named Zelda) stalling if either of them fell.

The bout commenced, and despite some inital struggle, I slowly but surely wore down their HP, until both the Xatu and the Claydol went down. Now only Lunatone and Solrock were left…and my heart was pounding as I wrestled with them–if I kept up my strategy, they too would fall.

Let’s just say the whole block heard my triumphant “YAHOO!!!” when they finally fell.

I went on to finally finish the game and unlock the Battle Frontier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adventurers