Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Viginette #9: Mother used to say

"Not again..." Arune sighed as she ran a finger over her crystal chimes, restoring some charred books to normal. "Are you sure you really want to be a blademage, Miresa?"

"Yes..." Miresa sighed--this was the third fireball she had accidentally unleashed in the library that week.

"Well, a good blademage knows how to control the magia inside them, even if they don't know they have named a spell until too late." Arune explained as watched the newly healed books fly back on the shelf, hiding all evidence of her Other's accident. "If you don't mind my asking, why do you continue to try to harness magia even though it usually winds up being a mess for me to clean up?"

"My mother asked me that same question when I was young--but back then, I was too young to understand why I kept making things happen when I unknowingly named spells--and I said I wanted to be a blademage." Miresa explained. "But after a week went by where I inadvertantly caused an accident at least once per day, I was seriously reconsidering my childhood dream and leaving the mage's lodge. Mother took me aside and said "Set yourself as the standard". I took that to mean 'believe in yourself', so whenever someone tells me to just give up, I just remember that little proverb, and it gives me the strength to keep trying."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adventurers